Ah yes, my beloved garbanzos. It wasn’t until I started roasting them into crunchy perfection that I began enjoying them in other forms. These can be put on salads for some crunch, or eaten solo as a savory snack. Get creative dressing it up with different spices, or stick to the basics below.
Either way, crunchy garbanzos are a versatile essential.
And SO simple to make. Honestly, foolproof.
You can pressure cook dry garbanzos, but I like to simply keep a can on hand. Ya know, for emergencies.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CRUNCHY GARBANZOS:
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ground black peppercorn, to your heart’s desire
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse and drain garbanzo in a sieve or colander. Transfer onto a cloth and dry thoroughly by rolling them in the cloth gently. (The more you dry them, the crunchier they turn out.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add the garbanzos, oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Transfer the coated beans onto the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden perfection. Be sure to shake the tray once or twice so they roast evenly.
- Eat right away or store in a container. (Let them cool completely before putting in a container, otherwise, the moisture from the steam will soften them)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LEMON TAHINI DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black peppercorn, to taste
- Place tahini, lemon, garlic, sea salt, & ground black peppercorn in a small bowl and combine. Add water slowly until your desired consistency. If you add too much water, add a little more tahini until it’s just right.
The final product! The salad below is:
lemon tahini dressing